Treaty Tie-Breaker Relief

If a taxpayer becomes a US Resident Alien for tax purposes because he holds a green card or has remained in the United States in excess of 182 days in any one year, then he ordinarily becomes subject to US taxation on his worldwide income.

If the taxpayer is a resident of a nation that has an income tax treaty between such nation and the United States, (for example: Germany), then this taxpayer can, given the right circumstances, make use of tie-breaker rules generally found in Article 4 of the income tax treaty to avoid being classified as a US resident for income tax purposes.

To make use of the tie-breaker rules, a taxpayer must take affirmative steps to informing the Internal Revenue Service that he is relying on an income tax treaty and thus should not be considered a US Resident for tax calculation purposes. This is done via a non-resident income tax return, Form 1040NR, with an attached Form 8833, Treaty Based Disclosure.

It is important to remember that this treaty based relief results in tax being calculated as if this taxpayer was a non-resident of the United States. It does not, however,  relieve the taxpayer of other filing obligations such as various information returns and the filing of foreign bank account reporting forms. 

Another important aspect is that claiming Tie-Breaker benefits, while holding a green card may jeopardize the green card because taking a position that one is a tax non-resident may be inconsistent with the requirements of continued green card ownership. Thus, it is imperative to consult competent immigration counsel to coordinate the filing of any non-resident returns in this case.

Disclaimer: This Article is for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. All situations are unique. Thus before taking any action, you should consult with legal counsel on the applicability of the above to your circumstances.

Doppelbesteuerungsabkommen Tie- Breaker –Regelung

Wenn jemand in den USA unbeschränkt steuerpflichtig wird, weil er entweder eine „Green Card“ hält oder sich mehr als 182 Tage in einem Jahr in den USA aufgehalten hat so muss diese Person in den USA ihr Welteinkommen versteuern.

Wenn ein solcher Steuerpflichtiger in einem Land mit einem Doppelbesteuerungsabkommen ansässig ist (z.B. Deutschland) so kann dieser, unter den richtigen Umständen, sich z.B. auf den Artikel 4 des DBA mit Deutschland berufen und sich in den USA als nicht ansässig einstufen lassen. Ein Green Card Inhaber der sich auf das DBA Art.4 beruft gefährdet allerdings damit die Green Card .

Um als nicht ansässig eingestuft zu werden muss der Steuerpflichtige dem Finanzamt melden dass dieser sich auf Artikel 4 des DBA’s bezieht. Dies wird mittels einer Non-Resident Steuererklärung, Formular 1040NR, erzielt. An diese Erklärung muss dann die sogenannte „Treaty Based Disclosure“ („Offenlegung“) mittels Formular 8833 beifügt werden.

Es ist zu beachten dass diese Offenlegung nur zur Folge hat dass der Steuerpflichtige in der Berechnung der Einkommensteuer als beschränkt Steuerpflichtiger eingestuft wird. Für alle anderen Aspekte der Steuergesetze wird dieser weiterhin als unbeschränkt Steuerpflichtig eingestuft so dass weiterhin diverse Informationserklärungen wie z.B. Formulare 5471, 8938, FBAR usw. abgegeben werden müssen.

Disclaimer: Dieser Artikel ist nur zur generellen Information und dient nicht als Rechtsberatung. Vor Abgabe einer Non-Resident Erklärung sollten Sie sich einwanderungsrechtlich und steuerlich beraten lassen.